This tasty low carb Cauliflower Fried Rice with Chicken dish is guaranteed to keep you full which is perfect for your keto diet.
This recipe is basically a low carb and keto version of regular fried rice with chicken, which is everyone’s favorite. Instead of the usual rice, this recipe uses cauliflower rice, which is one of the most popular low-carb rice alternatives.
Cauliflower rice tips
While you might be thinking of using frozen cauliflower rice to save time, Bobby from Flavcity, the creator of this Cauliflower Fried Rice with Chicken recipe recommends preparing your own cauliflower rice.
The frozen version can be mushy and often consists of cauliflower stalks which is not as good as using the fresh cauliflower florets. You will notice the difference!
Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients because it’s easy to make. You’ve probably already got most of them in your pantry if you are used to cooking spicy food.
Is Sriracha Sauce Low Carb?
The spiciness comes from the Sriracha, a hot sauce named after Si Racha, a the city in Thailand, where it was first made over 80 years ago.
I always have trouble getting my tongue round the word but am told it’s pronounced in three syllables: “See-rah-jah”. Easy when you know how!
Regular Sriracha, which many Americans use on just about everything like ketchup, is made from chili peppers, sugar, garlic, distilled vinegar, salt and the preservative sodium bisulfite.
Obviously that won’t do for a keto recipe because of the sugar but you can use Sky Valley Gluten Free Sriracha Sauce instead which does not contain sugar or sodium bisulfite.
Many people are sensitive to sulfites and they can severely aggravate asthma. I think it’s better to avoid any additives in food in any case.
Related reading: Should you Avoid Food Additives On a Low Carb Diet?
Another Sriracha which is low carb, vegan and gluten free is Simple Girl Hot Sauce. This one is sweetened with a little stevia. It’s made from hot Louisiana peppers and garlic.
Chinese 5-spice powder
Although the chicken is coated in Chinese 5-spice power the mix is not considered to be hot. It’s a mixture of spices that the Chinese believe are a balanced combination of the five key flavors in Chinese cooking namely sweet, sour, bitter, salty and spicy.
It usually consists of Szechuan peppercorns, ground cloves, fennel, cinnamon, and star anise but can be made from other spices.
The 5-spice powder together with the Sriracha sauce make this Cauliflower Fried Rice with Chicken a very tasty dish.
Other spicy Chicken recipes you might like are:
Cauliflower Fried Rice with Chicken
Makes 5 servings
• 5 cups organic cauliflower rice (1 large cauliflower head)
• 2 cups organic broccoli florets cut into small pieces
• 1 cup thinly sliced snow peas (mange tout peas)
• 1 tsp. peeled and finely grated ginger
• 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
• 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
• 1 – 2 tbsp. coconut aminos
• 1 – 2 tsp. Sriracha sauce
• ½ red onion, diced
• ¼ cup finely sliced green onions
• 3 cloves minced garlic
• 3 organic eggs, beaten
• ¾ cup shredded red cabbage
• Avocado oil
• Himalayan or Redmond Real salt
• 10 pieces of organic or free range boneless and skinless chicken thighs
• 2 tbsp. Chinese 5-spice powder
• Avocado oil
• Himalayan or Redmond salt
1. Season the chicken thigh pieces with the Chinese 5-spice and salt, along with 1 teaspoon of oil. Make sure to rub both sides of the chicken meat with the seasoning. Leave the chicken to sit at room temperature for up to 30 min.
2. Prepare the cauliflower rice. Grate the cauliflower until you’re able to produce five cups, and then set aside.
3. Preheat the non-toxic non-stick saute pan or wok over medium heat for 1 minute. Add 2 tsp. of oil and cook the broccoli, onions, 1/2 tsp. salt, and cracks of pepper. Cook for up to 6 min while stirring from time to time.
Add the cabbage, snow peas, ginger, garlic, and cook for 2-3 min more. Whisk the beaten eggs in a bowl. Create a well in the middle of the veggies that are in the pan and pour in the whisked eggs along with the cauliflower rice. Mix the egg with the cauliflower rice and the rest of the other ingredients in the pan.
4. Add the Sriracha and sesame oil and mix well. Cook for another 5 min while stirring from time to time. Turn off the pan and add the sesame seeds and green onions. Your cauliflower fried rice should be done by now, so transfer it to a large bowl.
5. Use the same pan to cook the chicken. Preheat it on medium heat for about 2 min and add 2 tsp. of oil. Cook half of the chicken for 4 minutes and flip the pieces over to cook for 4 more minutes. Make sure to flip the chicken meat only once. It should produce a beautiful texture.
6. Remove the chicken from the pan and cook the other half. Cooking the chicken in two batches can minimize overcrowding. It’s not a good idea to overcrowd the pan as the chicken will not sear and will not produce a nice texture.
7. You now have a delicious meal of Cauliflower Fried Rice with Chicken. Serve it in a bowl and enjoy!
If you cannot finish everything in one meal you can freeze the chicken but not the cauliflower rice as it can result in soggy rice. You can keep both in a fridge and store for up to 3 days. Simply reheat at 350F (175C) for about 10 -15 minutes in a covered dish. Check that it’s piping hot before serving.
Check out Bobby’s video demo below: