Cauliflower waffles? Yes, you can make tasty low carb waffles with cauliflower! If you are following a keto or low carb diet then you will know that cauliflower is one of those vegetables that you can safely include on your keto diet.
With only 3 grams of net carbs in every cup, this vegetable will not kick you out of ketosis.
Cauliflower is a very nutritious and versatile vegetable. It’s a brassica so is a good detox veg. Brassica family foods such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts contain several compounds that greatly improve liver detox function.
They also contain a compound known as sulforaphane which is very valuable in the prevention of cancer so it’s good to eat a good range of these vegetables every day. They are all low carb too so there’s no excuse not to eat them!
Related reading: Boost Your Weight Loss Efforts With Veggies
If you love waffles then try making them with cauliflower for a change. Had you thought of that? You can top them with keto-friendly eggs, bacon or prosciutto with some ready made Hollandaise sauce.
Here’s a recipe from Craig Clarke over at Ruled.me to follow to make your own delectable keto breakfast cauliflower waffles. He calls them cauliwaffles.
Craig says he and his girlfriend made them with purple cauliflower they got at a Farmer’s Market but of course you can make them with plain old white cauliflower. Purple ones contain anthocyanins, antioxidants which give it and other purple foods their color.
Researchers have discovered that anthocyanins may benefit brain health, help to lower inflammation, and fight cancer and heart disease. Good reasons to eat the foods that contain them.
It’s best to get organic cauliflower if you can to avoid pesticide residue. Although they are on EWG’s clean fifteen list for 2019, 30% of cauliflowers in the previous year were found to be contaminated with the pesticide imidacloprid.
This is the pesticide that has been linked to the declining wild bee population. Buy organic if you can to support eco-farming.
Okay, enough of my rant. Let’s take a look at the recipe. These waffles are so easy to make in a Belgian style flip waffle maker like this one.
Keto Breakfast Cauliflower Waffles
Makes 4 servings
· 1 ½ cups grated organic cauliflower
· ½ cup cheddar cheese
· ½ cup mozzarella cheese
· ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
· ½ tsp. garlic powder
· ½ tsp. onion powder
· ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
· 3 large organic eggs
· 3 tbsp. chopped chives
· Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Prepare your cauliflower and chives. Break down the cauliflower into tiny florets so you can easily grate them by hand. You can also use a food processor for grating.
2. Using the grating attachment of your food processor, grate the cauliflower and cheese. After grating, remove the bowl.
3. Add the chives, 3 large eggs, and seasoning.
4. Heat your waffle maker (Craig says a Belgian style flip waffle maker is good) and spoon the cauliflower mixture into it.
5. Leave to cook and flip over on the other side after a few minutes. It should take around 8 – 10 min in total to cook your waffles.
6. Serve with a topping of your choice. Enjoy!
7. Any left overs can be kept in the fridge and reheated in an oven.
Check out this video of the recipe: