Once you decide to go on a keto or low carb diet, you need to cut down your consumption of sweets. Unfortunately, this can be a bit of a challenge if you’re a sweet tooth. Sugar is highly addictive and once you remove it from your diet, you can expect to suffer from withdrawal symptoms.
One of the great things about a keto diet is that it will not make you ignore your sweet cravings. In fact, there are plenty of keto desserts that you can include in your diet and one of these is the Keto Lava Cake. It’s warm, sweet, gooey, and insanely delicious! Above all, it’s extremely easy to make. It only contains 4 grams of carbs, which is perfect for your low carb diet. Here’s a delicious recipe based on one from Tasteaholics.
Keto Lava Cake Recipe
• 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
• 1 to 2 tablespoons erythritol
• 1 medium-sized egg (organic)
• 1 tablespoon heavy cream ( organic is best)
• 1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 pinch Himalayan salt
• coconut oil for mug or cake mold
• Preheat your oven to 350°F (176 C approx)
• In a bowl, combine the cocoa powder and erythritol and whisk well in order to remove any clumps. This also helps to make the cake even smoother.
• In another bowl, beat the egg until it becomes fluffy. Being a low carb recipe, this lava cake is flourless. Therefore you need the aeration of the beaten egg to help the cake to rise.
• Next, combine the beaten egg, heavy cream and vanilla extract with the cocoa and erythritol mixture. Then add the baking powder and salt.
• Spray a mug or individual cake mold with a little coconut oil and pour in the batter.
• Bake for up to 15 minutes at 350° F. Avoid overcooking the cake or it won’t flow lava.
• Now it’s time to enjoy your cake! You can eat it straight from the mug or top it with low carb ice cream.
Note: You may see recipes that involve microwaving but I would advise against that as microwaving can destroy antioxidants and damage healthy fats in food.
Aside from the Keto Lava Cake, there are several other keto desserts that you can easily prepare and will not knock you out of ketosis.
Check out the Dessert in Five recipe ebook. Dessert in Five is a month’s worth of simple, delicious, low carb (keto) dessert recipes that are each made with just 5 common ingredients and are up to 5 grams of net carbs! There’s nothing better than that!