This keto beef stew is a filling meal that’s delicious and nutritious, suitable for those on a low carb diet. Cooked with beef, this recipe is high in protein and the perfect comfort meal during the cold season.
You can use any cooked steak of your choice or even leftovers. Like most animal proteins, such as pork, lamb, poultry, and seafood, beef is low in carbs and is perfect for the keto diet.
While the recipe requires using any steak, it is best to use grass-fed meat. The meat is loaded with B vitamins and contains higher amounts of Vitamins A, E, and other antioxidants.
In addition, it contains fewer calories and a better omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acid ratio compared to intensively reared commercial meat. You get a healthy amount of fats required to stay in ketosis.
You will find several keto beef stew recipes out there, but this recipe stands out mainly because it’s packed with flavor. This recipe used celery, carrots, red onion, and jicama for the vegetables, but feel free to use any veggies of your choice. Just make sure they are all low in carbs.
Related reading: What Are the Best Low Carb Vegetables?
Another great thing about this keto beef stew recipe is that it’s super easy to prepare. You start by heating the oil, then add the veggies, broth, and steak. Bring it to a boil, and in 20 minutes, you’ll have a delicious and hearty beef stew.
Related reading: Keto Cauliflower Rice Recipes
Related reading: 14 Keto Salad Recipes
If there are any leftovers, cool them completely and store them in an airtight container and reheat them when it’s time to eat. You can leave the stew in the fridge for up to three days.
Janet started her low carb recipe site after her husband was diagnosed with diabetes and had to change his diet. She hopes to show people through her recipes that just because you’re diabetic or on a low carb diet it doesn’t mean you have to give up your favorite dishes.
Janet uses thyme, oregano, basil, onion powder and garlic powder for this recipe but you can use any sesonings you prefer.
I’ve tweaked the recipe and changed the olive oil for avocado oil. It better for cooking than olive oil as avocado oil has a higher smoke point. The health benefits of olive oil are lost when it’s heated. You could also use coconut oil if you prefer.
For another tasty and quick beef dish try this Keto Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
Keto Beef Stew
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb. of cooked grass-fed steak of your choice, chopped into small pieces
- 2 ½ cups chopped mixed vegetables of your choice
- 5 oz canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 29 oz or 3 ½ cups beef broth, adjust to your desired amount
- 1 ½ tbsp dry seasonings of choice
- Redmond Real Sea Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Using 5-quart saucepan heat the avocado oil over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes until warm.
2. Add the vegetables and cook until softened stiring from time to time to prevent them sticking. This should take about 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add the beef broth then the tomatoes and seasoning and stir to combine.
4. Add the cooked steak.
5. Bring to a gentle boil, cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer for at least 20 minutes or until the beef and veggies are tender.
6. Serve warm with your chosen side.
Here’s Janet’s video demo for this keto beef stew recipe:
Top of blog keto beef stew image by Farhad Ibrahimzade