Since we’ve been talking about keto bowl food I thought I’d include this recipe for a keto egg roll in a bowl. The name is a bit misleading though because there is no egg or roll in the recipe!
I’m not sure which cook first coined the name but it’s a sort of deconstructed egg roll, if you like. This recipe captures the taste of the inside of an egg roll using healthier ingredients that are suitable for a keto diet. You may have also seen it making the rounds on Instagram and Pinterest as “Crack Slaw”.
If you are looking for a low carb and keto-friendly meal for dinner, something that you can easily prepare, the keto egg roll in a bowl would be perfect! It’s super easy to make and it will only take less than 30 minutes of your time.
Although this dish is probably best made with ground, free range pork it can also be made with ground grass-fed beef, organic chicken or turkey. Cabbage is of course is one of the low carb vegetables that you can have plenty of. It’s so good for you as well and ideal for the Keto-Alkaline Diet.
Keto Egg Roll In A Bowl is very flavorful and filling and will surely be loved by the entire family, whether they are on a low carb diet or not.
This recipe by Megha Barot has an Asian flavor but you can make it with whatever meat or poultry you like and add different herbs or spices to give it an Italian, Greek or Indian flavor. The variations are endless. Here’s the recipe which I’ve tweaked a little to make it even healthier.
Keto Egg Roll In A Bowl
• 1 pound ground, grass fed pork, beef, chicken or turkey
• 12 ounces shredded cabbage or a ready made bag of Cole Slaw mix
• 2 tablespoon organic chicken broth
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• 2 teaspoon Sriracha, or other herb or spice mix
• 1 tablespoon sesame oil
• 2 tablespoon minced green onion (scallions)
• 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
• 1/4 cup liquid aminos or gluten free soy sauce
1. Heat a skillet on medium heat. Add the ground pork, beef, chicken or turkey.
2. Break up the chunks of meat using a spatula and let it cook all the way through.
3. Pour in the liquid aminos and the chicken broth. Stir well to combine.
4. Add the cabbage now unless you like it to have a bit of a crunch when you would add it near the end. Add the minced garlic, Sriracha or other sauce, and ground ginger. Mix well.
5. Leave to cook for 1-2 minutes until the liquid reduces.
6. Add the shredded cabbage or Cole Slaw mix now if you prefer it to have a bit of a crunchy texture. Stir well to combine all ingredients.
7. Once the cabbage has wilted to the degree you like it remove from heat.
8. Drizzle with sesame oil or other good quality oil if you don’t have sesame to hand and garnish with sesame seeds and the minced scallions.
9. Spoon the mixture into your serving bowl and enjoy!
Here’s a demo of the recipe.
Want more keto recipes? Check these out: