If you love lettuce wraps but following a keto diet then you will probably be searching for keto lettuce wraps. One of the most delectable appetizers that you’ll find on the menu of some famous Chinese restaurants, such as PF Chang’s, is chicken lettuce wraps.
If you’re on a keto or low carb diet ordering this dish from your favorite restaurant is not recommended. A serving of the chicken lettuce wraps of PF Chang’s is said to contain a whopping 68 grams of carbohydrates and that would definitely kick you out of ketosis!
Thankfully, there’s a low carb version of this appetizer that you can cook at home. In fact, making these keto lettuce wraps with chicken or turkey in your own kitchen is super easy.
Plus, the recipe below uses keto-friendly ingredients that’s guaranteed to help you stay within the recommended keto macros.
This keto lettuce wraps recipe can make for a quick and healthy meal that everyone in the family will surely love.
The carrot in this recipe from Beth, a Certified Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and yoga instructor, is optional. If you are following a keto diet you would have to leave it out as carrot is not one of the keto-friendly low carb vegetables.
If you are following a low carb plan that is not so restrictive in carbs then you can probably go ahead and use carrot.
The original recipe included sriracha , a hot sauce that usually contains sugar, but you can get keto-friendly hot sauces that would be ideal. It also included coconut sugar which is not allowed on a keto diet. You can sweeten the cooking sauce with a little zero carb sweetener if you like.
To make a more substantial meal you could serve it with cauliflower rice or a dish or some sautéed cabbage.
Other chicken recipes you might like:
Keto Lettuce Wraps with Chicken or Turkey
- 1 pound ground dark chicken meat or ground turkey (organic is best)
- 1 cup carrots, shredded, (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp. fish sauce
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 3 tsp. minced ginger
- 8 oz. can water chestnuts, roughly diced
- 8 oz. chopped mushrooms
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Lettuce leaf cups
- Red pepper flakes
- Sesame seeds
- Keto friendly hot sauce
- Cauliflower rice, sautéed cabbage
- Few drops of Stevia
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp. coconut aminos
- a pinch of chili flakes or red pepper flakes
- Heat the avocado oil or ghee over medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrots (if using), mushrooms, and bell pepper. Season with salt and sauté for 3 – 5 min.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir well, then add the ground chicken. Season with salt. Use a wooden spoon to break the ground chicken. Turn the heat to medium high. Cook 5 – 8 minutes until the meat is cooked through.
- In a bowl, prepare the cooking sauce by mixing the rice vinegar, coconut aminos, rice vinegar, and fish sauce. Taste and adjust if necessary (see recipe notes above). Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the dipping sauce by simply combining all the ingredients.
- Pour the cooking sauce into the ground chicken that’s being cooked. Cook until liquid is reduced a little.
- Add the water chestnuts, if using, at the end.
- Remove from heat and put mixture into the lettuce cups. Top with red pepper flakes, scallion, and sesame seeds. Add a small amount of hot sauce.
- Serve your chicken lettuce wraps along with the dipping sauce.
- For a more substantial meal you can serve the lettuce wraps with cauliflower rice or some sautéed cabbage. Enjoy!
Here’s a video demo of the recipe: