Keto tamale pie is a low carb alternative of the famous Mexican pie dish. Although tamale pies are popular in Mexico, this dish is thought to have been invented in Texas, United States, during the early 1900s.
Tamale pies are not the same as the traditional Mexican tamales which are similar to burritos. Mexican tamales are made from a corn based dough mixture that is filled with various meats or beans and cheese.
Tamale pies are similar in as much as the crust is usually made from cornmeal, and the fillings often consist of meat, beans, chili peppers, salsa, and black olives. There are chicken and turkey versions as well.
The cornmeal is too high in carbs for a keto or low carb diet. So, Carolyn from All Day I Dream About Food created this low carb version of tamale pie which uses coconut flour and almond flour for the crust.
It still has all the other traditional ingredients for the filling, so it’s guaranteed to satisfy your Mexican cravings. Above all, this recipe for keto tamale pie incorporates lots of cheese, perfect if you are a cheese lover.
You can serve it with plenty of steamed low carb vegetables or a nice mixed salad.
Related reading: 14 Keto Salad Recipes
Not all taco seasoning is keto friendly. Many brands contain ingredients like sugar, corn starch and maltodextrin. You want to avoid those if you are going to be truly low carb.
Look for keto or low carb versions like this Flavor Seed – Rock Yo’ Taco Organic Taco Seasoning Mix.
Related reading: Keto Tacos Recipe
Corn bread flavoring
To give it that authentic cornbread flavor you can add some low carb corn bread flavoring or sweet corn extract if you can’t get the cornbread flavoring. Both are low carb so ideal for adding that extra flavor to the dish.
Related reading: Low Carb Bread Recipes
Keto Tamale Pie
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef or pork
- 3 tbsp. taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp. chili powder (optional)
- Redmond Real Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium-sized minced and seeded Jalapeño (optional)
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp. Redmond Real salt
- 3 large organic/pastured eggs
- 6 tbsp. melted grass-fed butter
- ⅛ cornbread flavor or this sweet corn extract
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ to ½ cup filtered water
1. Preheat oven to 325℉ (162°C).
2. Brown the ground beef in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Seasoning it with a little salt and pepper. Break up any lumps using a wooden spoon. Then stir in the taco seasoning, Jalapeño, and chili powder.
3. Combine the tomato paste and water in a small bowl mixing well. Pour it over the beef and mix in well then remove from heat. Scatter the cheese all over the meat.
4. Whisk the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt together in large bowl. Mix in the butter, eggs, and cornbread flavor making sure they are well combined. Add water a little at a time until the batter is thick but able to be spread.
5. Spoon the batter over the beef that’s in the skillet. Spread evenly over the meat and cheese using a spatula over the top.
6. Next, bake the keto tamale pie for 30 to 40 min, or until the edges of the pie turn into golden brown and the top is firm when touched. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for ten minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Check out Carolyn’s video demo of how to prepare the keto tamale pie.