If you’re looking for a keto vegetable casserole recipe for a change from meat dishes then this recipe is ideal. It’s quick and easy to put together and very tasty.
Or, perhaps you’re trying out the vegetarian keto diet or have a vegetarian to feed. This recipe from Gerri of My Keto Kitchen is proof that you can still enjoy delicious meals on a low carb diet even when you’re a vegetarian.
The casserole is made from low carb ingredients such as cauliflower rice, mozzarella and cheddar cheese, as well as keto marinara sauce.
Regular marinara sauces, as you probably know, are often full off added sugar which is obviously no good for a low carb diet. For this recipe you can either make your own or buy the sauce ready made such as this one by Yo Mama’s Foods made with non-GMO tomatoes.
Gerri has a tasty recipe for Marinara Sauce which is nice and herby with oregano, thyme and parsley and sweetened with a little erythritol.
The keto vegetable casserole is super easy to make and cooks in less than 30 minutes. This is the perfect casserole to make if you’re hosting a dinner party for health-conscious friends and family.
Other low carb vegetable recipes you might like to try are:
I’ve changed the olive oil in the recipe for avocado oil. According to some health experts olive oil should not be used for cooking because it can damage the health benefits of it.
Also, avocado oil has a higher smoke point than olive oil which should not be heated to above 180°C ( 356°F). It’s hard to know what the temperature may get to when you sauté food so it’s safer in my view to use avocado or coconut oil for frying.
Microplastic in Salt
Instead of using regular table salt I suggest that you use Redmond Real Salt. The reason for this is that regular salt often has additives that you want to avoid and all sea salt contains plastic microfibers.
Salt that comes from ancient sea beds should not contain plastic fibers. I used to recommend Himalayan salt as it comes from ancient sea beds but I read recently that some tests on various brands of salt showed that it also contained plastic microfibers.
Researchers know that we all get these microplastic fibers in us from many different sources but no one yet knows what they may do to us. I can’t imagine that they are harmless. The more you can do to avoid them the better.
Keto Vegetable Casserole
- 1 cup keto marinara sauce
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsps. avocado oil
- 3 cups raw or frozen cauliflower rice
- ½ cup halved Cherry tomatoes
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp. Redmond Real Salt
- ¼ cup freshly chopped oregano
- ½ tsp. ground white pepper
1. Preheat oven to 430℉ (220℃)
2. Place the oil, cauliflower rice, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a sauté pan and cook on high heat for for 3 to 4 mins.
3. Mix in the marinara sauce well and allow to simmer before adding the heavy cream and cherry tomatoes. Simmer for another 2 – 3 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the oregano and half the mozzarella.
5. Put the mixture into a casserole dish and sprinkle the top with the cheddar cheese and the rest of the mozzarella cheese.
6. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes making sure the cheeses have melted.
7. Garnish with some more oregano if you like and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Check out Gerri’s video demo of how to prepare this keto vegetable casserole.