If you’re looking for that perfect low carb roasted radishes recipe, then you should give this recipe a try. Radishes are an excellent addition to a low carb diet like keto.
Related reading: What Are Net Carbs And Why Are They Important?
There are many ways to cook the radishes for your keto diet. But of all these recipes, the roasted radishes recipe is very popular. They taste great and can be prepared in only a few minutes.
In fact, you only need four ingredients. The roasted radishes go well as a side dish to grilled chicken or meat and can make for a great addition to your favorite low carb salad.
This recipe is from Rockin Robin who cooked for 10 years in her family’s Mexican Restaurant.
Where do radishes come from?
Radishes originate from China and are thought to have spread through the Northern Hemisphere and into Europe in the 1500s. They were an important food of ancient Greece, Egypt, and Rome.
The original ones were black in color but are said to have been genetically modified to produce the red, pink, purple and yellow ones. I’m not sure that this is strictly true as I have seen non-GMO, heirloom, red radish seeds for sale. Radishes are all white in color inside regardless of their external color.
Health Benefits of Radishes
Radishes are not always a popular vegetable but they are very healthy. Being a brassica, like broccoli and cauliflower, they are very good for your liver and can help with the daily detox process.
Their spicey pungent flavor is caused by glucosinolates, sulfur-containing compounds, and the enzyme myrosinase. The effect of the glucosinolates is to induce the antioxidant and detoxifying enzymes of the body protecting you against cancer and other serious diseases.
They are rich in Vitamin C and contain small amounts of essential vitamins and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron and a range of B vitamins.
They have a spicy taste which some do not like but they taste altogether different when roasted. So, if you think you don’t like them then do try this roasted radish recipe because you could discover you love them!
This recipe is very versatile in as much as you can use whatever spices and herbs that you like. Try it first using the seasoning listed then try it again using your favorite herbs or spices.
I have changed the olive oil in the original recipe to avocado oil. These radises are roasted in a very hot temperature oven. Olive oil should not be heated to above 180C as the heat can degrade some of the antioxidants and vitamin E. Some of it’s flavor is lost too.
There is also the fact that some olive oils have been adulterated with other cheaper oils which may degrade on heating. So. unless you can be sure your extra vergin olive oil is pure it’s better not to use it for cooking.
Roasted Radishes Recipe
- 2 to 3 tbsp avocado oil
- A bunch of organic radishes
- Spices (eg. dried basil, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper)
- Fresh, organic parsley for garnishing
1. Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C approx).
2. Remove the greens from a bunch of organic radishes. Save them for using in your salads or smoothies. Wash the radishes well and top and tail them. Cut them into quarters.
3. Cover a baking sheet with non-bleached parchment paper and arrange the radishes on it.
4. Drizzle them with a bit of avocado oil and rub the oil all over the radishes. Sprinkle with the spices and toss to ensure that all radishes are well coated. Make sure that the radishes are arranged in a single layer to brown up nicely.
5. Bake in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes or depending on their size and how crisp or browned you want them. Turn the radishes over half way through the cooking time.
6. Sprinkle with some chopped fresh parsley before serving. Enjoy!
Here’s a Robin’s video demo of how to prepare this roasted radishes recipe.