There are many different versions of shrimp cakes recipe online. Keto shrimp cakes are well-loved by keto dieters because they are very flavorful and are made with ingredients that won’t kick you out of ketosis.
Shrimps themselves are very keto-friendly. They don’t contain any carbs, making them a perfect addition to your keto diet.
To make this shrimp cake recipe keto-friendly, blanched almond flour is used instead of regular flour. The rest of the ingredients are also low in carbs.
This recipe created by Darius of Sugarless Crystals is so easy to prepare and a great option if you’re looking for a quick and easy dinner.
Wild Caught Shrimp
As Darius so rightly says you should look for wild caught shrimp because the imported farmed ones can contain antibiotic residue and other contaminants.
Because of the amount of shrimp that Americans eat, to satisfy demand over 90 percent of it is imported from Southeast Asian countries like Indonesia, India, Thailand and Vietnam. The farming in these places tend to be environmentally destructive.
According to FoodPrint, Ryan Bigelow, a senior project manager for Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch initiative, says:
It’s very difficult to know where your shrimp is coming from.
Finding wild caught shrimp that have been deveined and shelled can be another problem.
Shrimp Cakes Recipe Notes
Xanthan Gum & Whey Protein Isolate
Darius says that the whey protein isolate and Xanthan gum are good substitute for the stickiness of the gluten in regular flour. One comment on the video said that the shrimp cakes still turned out well without the gum.
Xanthan gum is a food additive that is used for it’s thickening or stabilizing properties. It’s a soluble fiber and is not digested so does not add any calories.
If you like spicy shrimp cakes then you can add whatever spice you like or you can serve them with a spicy keto sauce.
Cheese is added to supply some fat which makes the recipe more keto friendly. You can make this recipe with any cheese you have to hand or any combination of cheeses you like.
If you love sea food then you might like these keto recipes:
Shrimp Cakes Recipe: Low Carb & Keto
Makes 10 cakes approx
- 1 lb. deveined wild caught shrimp
- 3 tbsp. blanched almond flour
- 1 large organic pastured egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar free mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. whey protein isolate
- 1/4 tsp. Xanthan gum
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or coconut oil for sautéing
- 4 oz. shredded cheese
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 11/8 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. Parsley (optional)
1. Chop the shrimps into smaller pieces.
2. Combine all ingredients together in a bowl except for the shrimps, almond flour, Xanthan gum, and whey protein isolate.
3. Mix the almond flour, Xanthan gum, and whey protein isolate together. Toss the shrimps into the mixture and combine with the rest of the ingredients.
4. Add about 2 tbsp. of avocado or coconut oil to a sauté pan.
5. Form the shrimp cakes into a ball and cook on medium to medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes each side. Make sure you don’t let them get too brown.
Check out this video demo of how to prepare the shrimp cakes recipe: