Burrito bowls are popular among healthy eaters since they are easy to customize, and you can eat them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. If you’re looking for a keto-friendly burrito bowl recipe, check out the keto chicken burrito bowl recipe below.
In case you didn’t already know a burrito is a Mexican dish which consists of a savoury filling, usually minced beef or beans, wrapped in a wheat tortilla. Obviously no good for a low carb or keto diet. Unlike a tortilla a burrito is closed at each end.
The actual word burrito comes from burro, the Spanish word for little donkey. There are various explanations about how burritos came to be called thet. The best explanation that I came across is that the burrito resembles the bedrolls and packs that donkeys carried.
A burrito bowl is just the filling without the wrap which is served in a bowl. Not really a burrito but ideal for you if are following a low carb or keto diet as they can be made with ingredients that are suitable for either.
The keto chicken burrito bowl
This keto burrito bowl from the Ruled.me team uses cauliflower instead of the usual rice. It also has ground chicken, diced tomatoes, Monterey Jack cheese, spices and other low-carb ingredients. Above all, it’s super easy to prepare, perfect for busy weeknight meals.
To make it even healthier I have tweaked the ingredients a little to include organic produce. I’ve also changed the olive oil for avocado oil as some health experts advise that the health benefits of olive oil is lost when you heat it.
Also avocado oil has a higher smoke point than olive oil. Many health experts say that you should not heat olive oil to above 180C (356F) and how do you know what temperature it reaches when you sauté food in it?
Even though cauliflower made it to #14 on EWG’s Clean 15 list it does not mean that it’s completely free of pesticides. Just that it has lower levels so it’s always a good idea to buy organic if you can.
Cauliflower is a very nutritious low carb vegetable and so versatile for the low carb diet. It is a good detoxifier. It contains substances known as isothiocyanates which induce Phase 2 detoxifiction pathways which are important for getting rid of the toxic chemicals that get into our bodies.
With all the toxins we are subjected to these days and which build up in our bodies it pays to make sure you are eating plenty of cruciferous vegetables. Examples of these are broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, bok choy and collard greens, as well as cauliflower.
Related reading: Low Carb Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe
The beauty of these vegetables is that they are all low carb so you can’t go wrong!
Another low carb dish in a bowl you might like is this Keto Egg Roll In A Bowl Recipe.
Keto Chicken Burrito Bowl
Makes 4 servings
- 16-ounce ground organic or free range chicken
- 450 grams organic cauliflower or ready riced cauliflower
- 2 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 tbsp. avocado oil, divided
- ½ medium-sized yellow onion, minced
- 12 ounce canned diced organic tomatoes
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ cup organic chicken broth
- Redmond Real Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fry the onion in half the oil over medium heat until transluscent.
2. Roughly chop the cauliflower and add to your food processor. Process until riced.
3. Add the ground chicken to the onons and cook thoroughly allowing the chicken to brown a little. Remove the mixture from heat and the pan and set aside.
4. Add the rest of the oil to the pan and add the cauliflower rice. Cook the cauliflower over medium heat for about 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add the onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, and cumin and mix in well.
6. Pour the chicken broth into the pan, along with the drained diced tomatoes. Stir all ingredients to combine them well and cook for 1 to 3 minutes. Bring to a simmer, allowing the cauliflower rice to absorb all the juices.
7. Return the ground chicken to the frying pan and stir well to combine all ingredients.
8. Sprinkle the Monterey jack cheese over the mixture, cover the pan and cook for a few minutes until the cheese melts.
9. Serve in bowls and enjoy!
Here’s a video of how to prepare this delicious keto chicken burrito bowl.
Image by Ruled Me.