This Keto Pollo Loco Recipe is inspired by Pollo Loco, a Mexican chicken dish that translates to “Crazy Chicken.” It consists of a fire-grilled chicken served over Mexican rice and smothered in white cheese.
The dish is served in two independent restaurant chains called El Pollo Loco that specialize in Mexican-style grilled chicken. One is based in Mexico and the other in America where there are a number of franchises.
Depending on which dish you choose it is said to amount to 1,100 calories, 43g fat, 11.5g saturated fat, 85g carbohydrates, 97g protein, and 2,830mg sodium. And that does not include any sides!
Obviously that amount of carbs is not any good for a low carb or keto diet. So, instead of the usual Mexican rice, this recipe by Sarah of CJ’s Keto Kitchen is cooked with cauliflower rice, so it’s guaranteed low in carbs! A 6 oz serving contains only 4 grams net carbs.
Related reading: Low Carb Broccoli Rice Versus Cauliflower Rice
What’s great about this recipe is that it only requires a few ingredients and can be prepared in less than thirty minutes!
The chicken and the cauliflower rice turn out very flavorful, and the cheeses make this Keto Pollo Loco Recipe even more delicious!
Related reading: Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe
Ro-Tel is a brand of tomatoes that is according to the company “made with a signature blend of vine-ripened tomatoes and zesty green chilies and a savory mixture of secret spices”.
If you can’t get that brand then Sarah says you can use a can of tomatoes and a can of green chillies instead. Sarah loves green chillies so adds an extra small can of them as well. You can of course leave them out if you prefer.
Sazon seasoning is a blend of coriander, cumin, achiote, garlic powder, oregano, salt & pepper. It can be bought ready made or you can make your own. There are plenty of recipes for it online.
I have tweaked the recipe ingredients to include organic chicken which is more nutritious than regular supermarket chicken. You can use both dark and white meat.
The recipe calls for cooked cauliflower rice that has been squeezed dry as much as possible.
If you like Mexican food then try this easy, low carb Mexican Skillet Recipe. It’s made with beef.
Keto Pollo Loco Recipe
Makes 10 servings
- 3 cups cooked organic chicken, chopped
- 1 cup organic cauliflower rice. cooked and squeezed dry
- 1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 small can of green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
Creamy White Queso Sauce
- 2 cups Pepper Jack
- ½ cup organic heavy cream
- 2 cups organic white cheddar
- ½ cup organic sour cream
- 1 can diced green chilies
- ½ can pickled Jalapeño peppers
- 1 tablespoon Jalapeño pepper juice
- 1 tablespoon green Sazon seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/176°C.
- Using a skillet, warm the cooked chicken slices and the cauliflower rice. Season with chipotle powder and cumin. Add the Ro-Tel tomatoes and chilies, then put into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Add the sour cream, heavy cream, and Jalapeño pepper juice to a large saucepan over medium heat. Use a hand held whisk to mix well while warming. Do not allow to scorch.
- When just beginning to bubble add the cheeses and stir well until fully melted. Add a little water if mixture becomes too thick. Add the jalapeños and the diced green chillies. Mix well then add the Sazon.
- Add the cooked creamy white queso sauce to the chicken mixture and stir well to combine.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 min. Leave for 15 minutes to cool before serving.
- Scatter some chopped cilantro over the top if you want and serve with low-carb tortillas or chips.
Here’s Sarah’s video demo of how to prepare this tasty Keto Pollo Loco Recipe: