This super delicious chocolate chip banana muffins recipe is quick and easy to make. But the best thing about it is that it’s made from low carb ingredients, making it safe for even those following the ketogenic diet.
Made using coconut flour, unsweetened chocolate chips, and a keto-friendly sweetener, they contain only 2.6 grams of net carbs per serving.
They are so delicious that even those who are not following the low carb lifestyle won’t be able to resist taking a bite!
This recipe calls for Greek Yogurt. It’s ideal for a keto diet because it contains a higher level of protein and a lower amount of lactose (milk sugar) than regular yogurt. It is ideal for baking as it keeps the muffins nice and moist and imparts a nice flavor.
Low carb sweeteners
Liezel does not specify any particular low carb sweetener for this recipe so just use whatever you usually use for baking.
Related reading: 4 Best Natural Low Carb Sweeteners
For the unsweetened dark chocolate chips look for some sweetened with stevia, lacanto
(monk fruit) or xylitol.
I’ve tweaked the recipe ingredients as I ususlly do to include organic produce where possible to make the recipe even healthier. Organic produce contains more vitamins, minerals and antioxidants than regular produce. It won’t contain damaging pesticides either!
If you are following a keto or low carb diet for health reasons which I assume you are then the more nutrients you can get the better.
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins Recipe
Makes approx 10 muffins
- ½ cup organic coconut flour
- ⅓ cup zero carb sweetener
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 6 large organic/pastured eggs
- ⅓ cup melted organic grass-fed butter
- 180g plain organic Greek yogurt
- ½ tbsp banana extract
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- unsweetened dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 356°F/180°C.
2. Line a muffin pan with some muffin cases.
3. Crack eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk well using a hand whisk. Add Greek yogurt and whisk again until mixed in. Add melted butter and the both extracts and mix again.
4. Mix the coconut flour and baking powder together in a bowl and seive them into the wet mixture. Mix until well combined. Then, mix in the zero carb sweetener.
5. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups. Top them with the unsweetened chocolate chips.
6. Bake for about 30 mins until lightly browned on top.
7. Allow to cool and enjoy!
Here’s Liezel’s video demo showing how to prepare this delicious chocolate chip banana muffins recipe.