This Mediterranean chicken recipe is perfect if you are looking for a tasty chicken dish that’s suitable for a low carb or keto diet. Free range chicken is popular with keto dieters because it’s a good source of protein. Aside from being low in carbs, it’s very versatile and can be cooked in various ways.
There are many low-carb chicken recipes online and in recipes books but this keto Mediterranean chicken recipe from Kevin Curry is so delicious it’s certainly worth giving it a try.
Kevin says that by reading everything he could get his hands on about nutrition and learning to cook low calorie healthy food he has transformed his life.
The dish is so easy to prepare and cooks in less than 30 minutes. Although this recipe uses chicken thighs you can use chicken breasts if you prefer.
You can adapt the recipe to make Mediterranean Shrimps and you could use coconut cream instead of heavy cream if you prefer.
I’ve tweaked the recipe a little to include organic ingredients because it’s better to use them if you want the best results from your diet. It’s especially important to get good quality chicken.
Although Kevin uses olive oil for cooking in the recipe I’ve switched it for avocado oil. In spite of the fact that they use olive oil all the time for cooking in Mediterranean countries some health experts are saying now that all the great health benefits of the oil is lost when its heated so it’s best to use it for salads or to drizzle over vegetables.
Avocado oil can be heated to a higher temperature so may be better to use for cooking.
Researchers have found that found that meat from free-range chickens was lower in fat and higher in protein, iron, and zinc, compared with meat from birds crowded in cages. Organic birds will not have received any antibiotics or hormones.
Here are some more low carb and keto chicken recipe you might like:
Mediterranean Chicken Recipe
- 1 ½ lb. boneless and skinless organic or free range chicken thighs, about 680 g
- 1 tsp. Himalayan salt, divided into two
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided into two
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- ½ cup organic chicken stock, around 120 ml
- ⅓ cup organic sun-dried chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup organic heavy cream, about 240 ml
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, or about 60 g
- 2 tbsps. fresh chopped parsley for garnishing
- Steamed organic cauliflower rice for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Season both sides of the chicken meat with half of the salt and black pepper.
3. Add oil to a skillet or oven proof sauté pan and heat on high. Add the chicken and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
4. Using the same skillet, cook the sauce. Set to medium-low and add the garlic thyme and rosemary. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until you can smell the fragrance..
5. Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, heavy cream and remaining salt and pepper. Simmer gently for about 2 minutes. Then, add the Parmesan and allow to melt, stirring well.
6. Put the chicken back into the skillet and spoon some of the sauce over it.
7. Now place the skillet in the oven and bake for up to 15 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.
8. Remove the skillet from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes.
9. Garnish with parsley and serve it over the steamed cauliflower rice.
Here’s Kevin’s video demo of the Mediterranean chicken recipe.