You may know all about what foods to eat on a keto diet but what can you drink on keto? It can prove quite confusing given all the marketing terms, such as low-sugar, low-carb, etc. Plain filtered water is no doubt, the safest to drink if you’re on a keto diet.
However, there may be times when you might want to try some flavored drinks or something more exciting to go with your meals. Read on to find out more about what can you drink on keto.
Related reading: 5 Amazing Health Benefits of a Keto Diet
What Can You Drink on Keto?
Keto-Friendly Drink Options
Regardless of the kind of diet you are on, your beverages should have zero-calories. Here’s a list of the best keto-friendly drink options.
• Sparkling water, club soda and seltzer water – these are zero-calorie bubbly beverages that are available in different fruity flavors. Some are sweetened with stevia, a natural low carb sweetener.
• Coffee and tea – if you need an energy boost to start your day, drink a cup of keto coffee or tea. Just avoid adding sugar to them. More importantly, don’t be tempted to order those fancy coffees at your local coffee shop. Most of these drinks are loaded with calories and are not suitable for a keto diet.
• Low-carb dairy and dairy alternatives – having a little bit of milk in your tea or coffee would not hurt your keto diet. Just use them in moderation. You can also opt for heavy cream or other dairy alternatives, such as unsweetened almond milk.
• Water – when in doubt, opt for plain water but make it filtered water. If you don’t like the plain taste adding a slice of lemon or a squeeze of lemon juice or herbs to it can help to perk it up.
Infused detox waters are also a good idea if you want a change. Get some recipes for detox waters for everyday drinking here.
Sometimes, you may want to have a smoothie to go with your keto meals or in place of a meal. Although most smoothies are made from fruits and are generally high in carbs, there are plenty of delicious low-carb smoothies that are suitable for the ketogenic diet.
My 40 Healthy Low Carb & Keto Smoothie Recipe eBook is full of satisfying and nourishing smoothie recipes. You will never run out of delicious smoothie ideas with this book at your fingertips.
Here are some keto smoothie recipe ideas to try. Simply place all the ingredients in a blender and blend for up to a minute or until very smooth.
• Low-carb strawberry crunch – strawberries, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, almonds, cinnamon and chia seeds.
• Green keto smoothie with avocado and mint – avocado, almond milk, coconut milk, lime, cilantro, mint, vanilla and ice.
• Keto lemon coconut smoothie – baby spinach, lemon flesh, sunflower seeds or raw pumpkin, coconut milk, protein powder, and water.
• Chocolate green smoothies – coconut cream, cocoa powder, spinach, frozen berries of your choice and granulated keto approved sweetener.
Check out this recipe for a Keto Green Smoothie Recipe with Blueberries and Avocado
Related reading: 5 Healthy Fruits You Can Eat On A Low Carb Diet
Remember that different people may require a different amount of carbs in their keto diet. If you feel that you need to take in fewer carbs, skip the berries or use less of them in your smoothie.
Keto Diet Alcohol Rules
All alcoholic drinks must be consumed in moderation if you’re on a ketogenic diet. Unsweetened wines, light beer and hard liquor are some alcoholic beverages that you can safely enjoy while on the keto diet.
Basically, any alcoholic drink that has a sweet taste should be avoided since they are most likely loaded with sugar and carbs. Remember, alcohol is poisonous to the body, so it should be consumed only in moderation.
If you’re looking for some ideas for cocktails then take a look at these recipes for keto friendly cocktails.
As you see, there are plenty of beverages that you can drink on a keto diet. Just pay close attention to your body. Watch out for any negative changes especially if you’re drinking alcoholic beverages.
Regardless of the type of drink, always choose the low-carb options and make sure that they can help you to achieve your weight loss goals on keto.
Drink image by Graham Hills