Keto Broccoli and Cheese Soup is a favorite of many. This recipe is inspired by the original Cream of Broccoli Soup recipe, which uses flour and other ingredients that are not ideal for a low-carb diet.
If you’re on the ketogenic diet, having flour in your soup is a big no. In this Keto Broccoli and Cheese Soup recipe from Anna’s Kitchen the ingredients are all keto-friendly. Plus, the soup is easy to prepare.
Anna shares recipes that she ate while following Dr Poon’s Metabolic Diet as well as low carb and keto recipes. I doubt that she ate this recipe while following Dr Poon’s diet because his diet is based on low carb and low fat foods which is not the same as keto.
She did manage to lose over 50 pounds in 4 months on the diet and 100 pounds in just under 12 months so it was a good diet for her.
Related reading: Best Fats To Eat On A Low Carb Diet
Anyway it’s so tasty that you don’t need to be on a keto or low-carb diet to appreciate the delicious taste of this creamy broccoli soup.
Broccoli is one of the low carb vegetables that are good to eat when you are on a keto diet. You already know that it’s good for you because compounds in the vegetable can improve your liver’s detoxification abilities.
All brassica family foods such as cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, collards and Bok Choy (aka pak choy) can do this so it’s good to eat a lot of them whatever diet you follow.
If you want more tasty soup recipes that are suitable for a low carb or keto diet try these:
Keto Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 strips good quality bacon
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 of a medium-sized onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan or Redmon Real salt
Extra bacon and cheese
1. Preheat a large pan on medium heat. When it’s hot enough, cook the bacon. Make sure you turn it over occasionally. Cook the bacon until it develops a nice and crispy texture. Remove and set aside.
2. Next, add the onion, celery, and garlic cloves to the pan. Cook in the fat from the bacon for up to 10 min. Stir occasionally and wait until the onion starts to become translucent, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add the chopped broccoli and chicken broth. Stir for a minute.
4. Pour in the whipping cream and cook for 9 minutes more. Leave it to simmer.
5. After about 10 min, the broccoli should already be cooked through. Add the cheddar cheese one cup at a time. Stir for a minute before you add more. Leave the soup to simmer for about 10 minutes more.
6. Your Keto Broccoli and Cheese Soup should be ready now. Before serving, garnish with cheese and more bacon if you like.
Check out this video of the recipe:
Soup image by Stephen Pearson