Can you eat pizza on keto? Sure, you can, and this keto pizza recipe is proof.
If you’re following a low carb or keto diet, then you know that pizzas are among those foods that you should avoid. This can be frustrating if you’re a pizza lover. But the best thing about keto is that you have plenty of alternatives.
In this keto pizza recipe Mayra of Low Carb Love made the pizza keto-friendly by using almond flour and other low-carb ingredients for the crust. The result is similar to a regular thin crust pizza that tastes so good.
You could also use this recipe for a low carb Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Mayra, I might add, lost 135 lbs with a low carb and keto diet and now likes to share her tasty recipes.
Related reading: How to Get Motivated to Lose Weight?
As for the toppings, she uses low-carb ingredients such as low carb marinara sauce such as this one from Yo Mamma’s Foods which is GMO free, mozzarella cheese and pepperoni slices. Of course, you can use any low carb toppings of your choice.
So, if you find yourself craving pizza but you’re afraid of ruining your diet below is a tasty keto pizza recipe.
Pepperoni originated in Italy and is traditionally made from pork or ground beef and pork. If you are avoiding pork you can get some made from 100% beef and it should say that on the label.
The original Pepperoni is a raw product that has been fermented, smoked and then dried. Spices, salt and pepper are usually added to the mixture for flavor and color.
As this is a lengthy process some makes of Pepperoni are made with cooked meat to speed up the process.
Not all pepperoni is keto friendly so check the label carefully. Some contain sugar and unhealthy additives so avoid those.
Non-Toxic Pizza Pans
I recommend that you use a non-toxic, non-stick pizza pan such as this Destinymd non-stick carbon steel perforated pizza pan.
Carbon steel is non toxic and very safe to cook with. It does not contain cadmium, lead, PFOA, PTFE or PFOS like some other non-stick products do. It’s known that these chemicals can get into the food and into your body where they can cause health issues.
PFOA and PFOS have been linked to many conditions such as breast cancer, prostate cancer, liver tumors and reduced fertility. Best to stay away from them.
PTFE is found in Teflon coated pans and while this plastic substance has not been linked to serious health problems it’s known to break down and release toxic chemicals into the atmosphere when heated to a high temperature.
When these chemicals are breathed in some people develop flu like symptoms known as fume fever or Teflon flu. Even if you don’t suffer from that problem you don’t want to be breathing in or eating plastic particles.
Keto Pizza Recipe
Makes 6 slices
- ¾ cup fine almond flour
- 1 ½ cups part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp. parmesan cheese
- 1 organic/pastured egg
- 2 tbsp cream cheese ( organic if possible)
- 1 cup low carb marinara sauce
- ½ cup low moisture mozzarella cheese
- Good quality Pepperoni
- Optional: basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. (218°C approx)
2. Place the cream cheese, parmesan, and mozzarella cheese in a small pan and heat stirring all the time until mixed and pliable. Alternatively place ingredients in a bowl and microwave for about 50 – 60 seconds.
3. Mix in the almond flour with a spatula until well incorporated. Add the egg and continue mixing with a spatula or use your hands. Knead the mixture until it forms a soft dough. If the dough is sticky you can turn it out onto your countertop that’s been dusted with some almond or coconut flour. Knead in a little almond flour until it becomes less sticky.
4. Flatten out the dough with your hands keeping the edges thicker to form the crust. Place the base in pizza pan or on a cooling rack with an pan underneath. Prick small holes all over the dough with a fork so it does not form bubbles.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes in a regular oven or 8 in a convection oven.
6. When done, take the dough out from the oven and add the marinara sauce, the cheese and pepperoni slices and anything else you want.
7. Bake again for 10 more minutes until the cheese has melted and the crust is crispy.
8. Take out of the oven and garnish with the sliced basil leaves. Serve your keto pizza and enjoy!
Here’s Mayra’s video of how to prepare this keto pizza recipe.